Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Well, I didn't quite finish the entire thing...but I did do all the knitting and start the blocking, which I'd say is pretty good for someone who's just finally over a nine-day stay from the swine cold (I never had a fever, but apparently this is possible?). This is my first time blocking a knit (embarrassing to admit, but there, I said it!) and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. The blanket's visual success depends, I think, on corners as perfect as I can get them, and with so many knitters making the individual panels, some coaxing was required to get everything to match up. I'm about a third of the way there (maybe some sort of faux pas in blocking? but such is life with a preschooler) and am really excited to see the difference the process will have made.
Back on task.
Another item from my November to-do list was that leaf wreath...which I contemplated giving up on till next year, because (did everyone know this but me?) the leaves are about finished falling before November even starts. I have a door decoration for Halloween so I figured I'd wait till that was finished...but the leaves were mostly crackly and dirty and faded. We made the best of it, and of the glorious day, by taking a family leaf collection walk yesterday, made all the more official by the fact that we were accompanied by a zookeeper who started out reluctant but took the "leaf collection" very seriously by the end.
I felt a little odd just walking up to people's parkways and taking their leaves, but nobody seemed to mind and I even met a new-to-me neighbor who asked me to please take them all. :) It was actually kind of a rush to see a big pile of fresh-looking leaves (ooh! an apartment building! They don't rake!) and then scurry over and bag as many as I could.
I ended up needing to make a repeat leaf run because, as Mollie mentioned, this thing took a lot of leaves. I made the frame as suggested by Britt on her post at Infarrantly Creative, and then just started threading 'em on there. What gave me the most bang for my leaves was using the taped sections for the sides, since the tape kept the leaves from falling and clumping at the bottom. I actually added some extra tape at intervals along the sides and then again on the corners.
We went to JoAnn's last night for some ribbon, but the line was way too long, so I went with this orange satin ribbon from a grab bag I bought a while back (best investment ever!). Not my favorite, but for this year, it will be just fine. Once I had it hung, I trimmed the stems, and it was finished.
Next year: brighter, fresher leaves...and maybe I'll splurge on the fancy ribbon.